Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Drama Of Blue




I upholstered the sofa in blue silk,
the shade of farmhouse shutters
that once guarded the window
where Seurat watched his mistress
cloister a moth in her hand.
And later when evening burnished
the hour to a mellowed hue of fire,
he painted them on sailcloth.
No lines, no silhouette
just grains of light and matter
vibrating with a wistful poise.

And though content
with my choice of shade and fabric,
I wonder if the color
somehow chose me, draped
over the store's mannequin
as I entered, this mood
of concentrated blue:
grapes, water, a bird
plume floating near shore. All points
of memory that comprised my stance
and attraction to a tone
that could accentuate loss, the last
place I dined with him.
___________________________________________________
The beautiful painting , called "Rhapsody in Blue", is by French artist, Marie-France Riviere. More of her lovely work can be found at her on-line gallery -- www.griviere.com/expo2000.

No comments: